Index

An index serves as a entry point into a notes collection. It is meant to facilitate faster retrieval of information.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

If you created a new topic in this category and would like it get added to the index, go ahead and add it as a comment below, with a link to the topic.

Note to Visitor: (9/10/2020) I’m very slowly adding to this index and zettelkasten example because the majority of my time/focus goes into putting content into my private zettelkasten and working on a public wiki housed within it. The Public Wiki becoming public once Obsidian Publish gets released.

Purpose of an Index

Indexes are considered an information retrieval tool. When creating a zettelkasten, Luhmann needed some way of retrieving the relevant notes. Due to the size of the collection, a sequential search would take too long. So he borrowed a retrieval tool (Index) typical used in books. The other retrieval tool he could have considered is a table of contents. Because an alphabetical index uses our pre-learned model of the alphabet, it makes retrieval of concepts extremely quick. This makes indexes advantageous over table of contents when the collections get large. For example, in his second collection, Luhmann had 3,200 entries for 67,000 notes.